Friday, February 4, 2011

The Homeschool Mother's Journal

The Homeschool Mother's Journal 

In my life this week...

We have been down to one vehicle for a few weeks and it truly took it's toll on me this week.  Having to wake up extra early to drop my husband off at work, which was a 45 minute drive each way.  Only to return home and have to get my son to work within 15 minutes.  It was such a trying ordeal.  The experience was a reminder to appreciate all the things that I have...conveniences such as having two cars, washing machines, and dish washers... All Blessings!!!


In our homeschool this week...

Sunhyne has been so excited about her Girl Scout Cookie Sales. She's a Junior this year and ironically it's her first year to participate in cookie sales. She's been going door to door taking orders and has had a such a wonderful experience. She even had a few of her friends come out to help. Her excitement and enthusiasm has been my favorite part of the week:)


Places we're going and people we're seeing...

We made it to our weekly PE class this week and Sunshyne had a blast, as usual.  I think it's imperative for her to participate in PE because balance and coordination is challenging for her.  Poor baby, she LOVES playing sports but she constantly falls.
 My favorite thing this week was...

  This week, we are focusing on Black History in celebration of Black History Month. We are discussing historical figures, slavery, the civil rights movement, African-American traditions...food, games, songs, etc. All of which I'm highlighting on my blog this month.

What's working/not working for us...

We are loving several aspects of our homeschool schedule this year.  First, we are using lapbooks for science and it's working out SO well.  I love seeing them come together and knowing that the kids have something to look back on and review later on.  Also, we LOVE Teaching Textbooks for math this semester.  This is our first year trying the TT curriculum and it is awesome!

Homeschool questions/thoughts I have...

I would like to do some things different with our history curriculum.  We are currently using the Abeka U.S History book for 4th grade.  I just think it gets boring at times and doesn't really bring history to life.  I'd like to add more to history some how.  I have tried adding videos to portions of our studies from the History channel, but do not always find the time to do so.  I've thought about Brain Pop as an option for history as well...I guess I just need to find the time to sit down and re-vamp that portion of our curriculum.

A photo, video, link, or quote to share...

Sunshyne and Friends going door-to-door for Girl Scout Cookie sales.
Thanks for stopping by!

~Blessings~
Claudea B.















 

8 comments:

Aloha Acres said...

We LOVE TT and it's the one thing that works for both of my boys!
I'm thinking about giving lapbooks a try.

Looking forward to reading your blog more.

http://bugs2butterflies.blogspot.com/2011/02/homeschool-mothers-journal.html

Soul Pockets said...

I think I am going to have to look into Teaching textbooks for Math. I hope your car situation gets better soon. Take care! :)

Tammilee said...

Hi
I am a new follower from the Friday Blog Hop
I blog at www.tammileetips.com
I hope you will stop by and visit
Tammilee

Jennifer said...

Yeah for your daughter's enthusiasm making you smile.

Amanda- The Nutritionist Reviews said...

Cute blog!

I just found your blog through the Boost My Blog Friday Hop! Have a great weekend.

Amanda @ www.nutritionistreviews.com

DIYbyDesign said...

I am following you from the blog hop. I hope you will come and follow me back at www.diybydesign.blogspot.com. Thanks. Looking forward to keeping up with your blog.

Anonymous said...

Following from blog hop. Hope you will follow back.

Laura said...

New follower from Follow Me Wednesday:) Look forward to reading your blog.

Laura
www.agoddessoffrugality.blogspot.com