Friday, February 11, 2011

The Homeschool Mother's Journal ~ 2

The Homeschool Mother's Journal 


In my life this week...

My mother is currently in the hospital after having her foot amputated.  She has struggled with diabetes most of her life.  I've found it difficult to focus this week thinking about the quality of life she has to look forward to now.  I worry that some of the things that she still wanted to do in life will not happen.  My mother enjoys her independence and I'm concerned about how this will effect that.  I live far enough away from her that it's difficult to visit as often as I'd like, and I fear that she will no longer be able to live alone.




In our homeschool this week...

We continued with our Black History Month theme this week.  Sunshyne has also been extremely focused on her Girl Scout cookie sales.  I'm proud of her because she's a very playful child and doesn't take much seriously, but she has put a lot of effort into this venture.



Places we're going and people we're seeing...

With my mother being in the hospital, that's pretty much where we have been.  It's such a blessing to enjoy the flexibility of homeschooling.  Sunshyne LOVES her grandmother and was able to go with me to visit her before her surgery.  It's times like that when I am so grateful to our decision to homeschool.  My mother was so happy to see Sunshyne and vice versa, it just really made those bleak circumstances feel like everything was going to be okay.

Also, a friend of mine is now the director of a branch of Classical Conversations and invited Sunshyne to visit one of the classes this week.  I'd never heard of CC until my friend started up a location nearby.  It was nice to visit and I really liked the history curriculum that the program utilizes.  I've never been a person that uses one single curriculum for everything so it doesn't appeal to me from that aspect but I like that the class meets just once per week and that I am still able to homeschool my child the rest of the week. 
I'll probably do a review of our visit in more detail for folks that are not familiar with CC, in the near future.



My favorite thing this week was...

Sunshyne sung Swing Low, Sweet Chariot as a part of our Black History activities.  Her little voice singing that song was just the cutest thing.  I love to hear her sing anyway, but that song touches me so deeply because it has meaning.  It was a memorable moment...my favorite thing this week.



What's working/not working for us...

I've just wanted to add more liveliness to our homeschool and that has yet to happen.  I continue to tell myself that I'm going to sit down on the weekend and prepare some new and fun activities for certain subjects but I still haven't found the time.  Also, I struggle with distractions of all types during my classroom time.  My phone ringing, changes with schedules, last minute stuff that seems to pop-up all the time...it seems never ending.  Lastly, I'd also like to point out that I haven't given Sunshyne any new spelling words in two weeks, so I guess that is officially not working for us now.  I've got to pull it back together.



Homeschool questions/thoughts I have...

This week I have just wanted to focus more on our classroom, unfortunately that hasn't really happened but I'm hopeful for next week. 



A photo, video, link, or quote to share...

RJ visiting with a neighbors adorable little puppy...cute!
Thanks for stopping by, please visit The Homeschool Chick to read other mother's journals.
~Blessings~
Claudea B.



3 comments:

Zelda said...

Popped over from HMJ.
Blessings to you and your mother.
My friend just had both feet amputated due to diabeties and it's not been easy.
Good luck with organising your schoolroom - nothing makes me happier than when mine is tidy (which isn't often)

Zelda
Homeschool Escapade

sim only said...

Blessings to you and your mother.
My friend just had both feet amputated due to diabeties and it's not been easy.

BrendaC said...

Just found your blog, and want to say that I will be praying for your mother. Diabetes is a terrible disease and often very hard to manage. WV Stitcher .