Friday, March 11, 2011

The Homeschool Mother's Journal ~ 4


The Homeschool Mother's Journal 

In my life this week...

We finally finished moving and unpacking most of our stuff.  This shell of a house now honestly resembles home, and for that I am thankful.  We were able to get back to the basic subjects this week and I plan to be in full swing starting Monday with all of the kiddos.




In our homeschool this week...

Sunshyne is doing so well with her Teaching Textbooks curriculum, I'm sooooo happy and thankful for this curriculum.  I'm trying to get in the graduation mode for Charlie Brown and finalize some of his financial aid information to send to UTI.  Also, I took RJ to the Toddler Time program at our local library for the first time this week and I think I'll implement this as a part of his curriculum.  It was fun to get a chance to spend some alone time with him at the library.  I think he was amazed to see that there are other small people like him...a big herd of them!



Places we're going and people we're seeing...

Today we will be going to the Carver Community Cultural Center to see Japanese Storyteller Kuniko Yamamoto as a part of the Youth Matinee Series.  It sounds fun and enlightening.  Also, I attended a Bronze Award training yesterday for the Girls Scouts.  The Bronze Award is the highest award that a Junior GS can earn.  My mission was to find out how to divise and execute the HUGE community project that the girls will have to tackle to apply for the award.  It seems like it will be challenging but extremely rewarding for the girls.  Last but not least, it's football season for Papa Bear and we are planning to attend most of his games this year.  They've already won two games...Go SA Knights!



My favorite thing this week was...

Singing songs with RJ at Toddler Time and watching his reaction to the other kiddos.  One of my favorite songs went like this:
Itsy Bitsy Monkey (tune of Itsy Bitsy Spider)

The itsy bitsy monkey climbed up the coconut tree.
Down came the coconut and bopped him on the knee.
Along came his mama, who kissed away the pain.
The itsy bitsy monkey climbed up the tree again.



What's working/not working for us...

Okay, I found a website called Spelling City which sounded like the answer to my prayers.  It's suppose to administer spelling tests for you and generates worksheets and games for the kiddos using word lists that you create yourself.  I'm struggling with the site a little, I guess just because it's a new thing for me but I'm hoping it will work out to be everything it says it is because it would truly be a blessing.  If anyone else is using this program, please, please share your opinion about it.



Homeschool questions/thoughts I have...

I've been thinking a lot about the upcoming homeschool conventions that I would like to attend.  I'm pretty sure that I'm going to attend our local convention but I'd also like to expand my scope and attend a national level convention.  We shall see:)



A photo, video, link, or quote to share...


I was playing around over at Picnik and got this great 1960's look of a photo of RJ and Papa Bear before Papa Bear's first football game of the season.  (I did the 1960 effect and the cross processing to achieve this look) Love it!

To read more Mother's Journals please stop by The Homeschool Chick .  I love her site and reading what other homeschooling mama's are doing with their kiddos on this meme.

~Blessings~
Claudea B.





2 comments:

LivingFree said...

I really like Spelling City! The Japanese storyteller sounds fun.

SisterTipster said...

Love the Jr GirlScouts myself and sounds awesome! Love Picnik too~and your pic..Great to 'meet' ya~;-)) Great blog name too~mamas definitely KNOW best ;-)) sec to God...LOL ;-))