Thursday, December 17, 2009

Did You Hear About The Morgans?

I absolutely love going to the movies, I LOVE going to the movies even more when it's free! Tonight I went to see the preview of "Did You Hear About The Morgans?" Featuring Hugh Grant as Paul Morgan, and Sarah Jessica Parker as Meryl Morgan. I was excited to see the movie, as I love romantic comedy's. I've been keeping my eye on the clips and anticipating the movie by the day.
The Movie begins in the posh city of New York, where Meryl and Paul are having some marital issues (to put it lightly). Meryl is in the real estate business and doing very well for herself. I immediately thought of that "independent woman" song by Beyonce' when witnessing this woman's lifestyle. Meryl would definitely be considered a Diva by my standards. Anyway, the estranged couple agrees to see each other, when the weirdest thing happens... they witness a murder. Now they find themselves caught in a whirlwind of FBI Marshall's and whisked away to the Witness Protection program. Real Estate Guru, Meryl, is now faced with the question of how she is suppose to run her successful business in a witness protection program. If that's not enough she's stuck with her husband who she, to put it in her words, "can't commit to spending the rest of her life with." Hummm...I might be crazy, but isn't that what you do when you get married??? That was my favorite line by the way:) Long story short...They are taken to some G-forsaken country town in Wyoming, where they're placed under the watchful eyes of Clay and Emma Wheeler (played by Sam Elliott and Mary Lawrence). Sam Elliott is soooo sexy by the way...I just thought I'd put it out there. The couple is now forced to face some of the underlying issues that have distressed their marriage. They even pick up a couple of useful skills along the way. In the end...well, I guess you'll have to see the movie to find out.
Now for my personal take on the movie. I enjoyed the movie and even found myself laughing a few times. However, it wasn't one of those movies that I would have to jump on Facebook and tell all of my friends and family to run out and see. I should also factor in the fact that I haven't been to the movies in a month so..... Anyway, I thought that Hugh Grant's humor was characteristically sarcastic, which is why I love his humor. At times though it seemed inappropriate and a bit over-killed (used too much). I loved the funny little antics that arose simply from Sarah Jessica Parker being out of place in her new country setting. It made the movie seem more realistic. There was the debate of whether one should expect everything from their partner or not, with regard to happiness, weaved throughout the movie. I found myself thinking about this on a deeper note. I think that married folks might appreciate this bit of intellectual stimulation with their popcorn. The jury is still out on this debate with me. Also, I thought the plot was very predictable and there weren't any surprises, but that's most romantic comedy's. I just like to have a pleasant surprise once in a while. Overall, it's an okay movie. It's one of those that I'd probably just wait until it came out on DVD to see...and maybe even wait to get it from the Redbox;)

No comments: